Thursday, September 21, 2017

My Italian Citizenship Application


 
Well, for those of you who have been asking me for a long time whether I would apply for Italian citizenship, I can now tell you that I have made the application. (The photo above is not a photo of my passport, that is a long way off yet).

I made the application during the summer and I still haven't had any confirmation as to whether they have even received it (although I assume it must be registered because I submitted it online). The joys of public administration!
 
However, the process itself was a little costly and a little cumbersome in terms of preparing the documentation. The online application was quite simple.  The worst part was recalling all my FULL residential addresses since age 14, which I would suggest is the most difficult part of the whole application process. 
 
One other issue that tripped me up was when I needed to have my birth certificate and also police report translated. Any official document from another country must receive the 'apostille' from the country of origin.  In  the UK it is the Foreign and Commonwealth office. The apostille is a certification that they are genuine documents.  At £70 per document + courier fees, it is not cheap.  
 
That being said the process was relatively smooth. Now, I must chase the Ministero dell'Interno to find out what they have done with it.   I will keep you informed!
 
If you would like to talk to me about this blog or anything else then you can drop me a line on gareth.horsfall@spectrum-ifa.com or call me on 3336492356

No comments:

Post a Comment